My boyfriend calls this the best banana bread in the world. That’s a pretty grand title, but I think it lives up to the hype.
I’ve alway wondered why so many bakers insist on using eggs and milk in their recipes. These days, there’s really no need. This vegan version is much better for both you and the environment – plus, it tastes amazing!
Bananas are also full of powerful antioxidants which can reduce your risk of heart disease. Not bad for a sweet treat!
Now, I’m no master baker. But one recipe that consistently comes together successfully and with very little effort is my famous vegan banana bread. I’ve tweaked it slightly over the years, reducing the amount of sugar and oil without compromising on taste.
The secret is in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Trust me, your home will smell so good when you make this.
Now, it’s your choice – eat it while it’s warm or leave to cool? Either way, you won’t be able to stop at just one slice.
The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 cups of self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 400ml tin of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda) together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, take 3 of the bananas and mash them well.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, sunflower oil and coconut milk.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, filling it almost to the top.
- Take the remaining banana and slice it lengthways. Arrange both slices on top of the mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
You can also adapt this recipe to make the most delicious banana muffins! Simply pour the batter into lined muffin tins, bake for 35 minutes and you’ve got a week’s worth of snacks that you can eat on the go.
If you decide to try out this recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram @fromthepumpkinpatch so I can check out your creations!