You may have heard the news that Starbucks have made their signature Pumpkin Spice Latte completely vegan.
For autumn-loving vegans around the world, this is cause for celebration! Better yet, let’s make it a public holiday.
But I’m still not completely satisfied.
Now, don’t get me wrong. The fact that Starbucks have listened to the thousands of vegans clamouring for a cruelty-free PSL is amazing! But I’m a little more high-maintenance than most.
I quit caffeine over four years ago (find out why here) and since then I’ve been searching tirelessly for caffeine-free versions of my old favourites.
There have been many successes – my boyfriend tracked down the most delicious carob chocolates one Easter, and I discovered a coffee alternative at Holland and Barrett that tastes exactly like the real thing.
But one beverage has continued to elude me. I guess the clue is in the name – it’s a pumpkin spice latte after all.
Autumn has rolled around again, and I’m still no closer to finding a caffeine-free PSL. So this year, I decided to make my own. And not to brag, but it actually tastes better than the Starbucks version that I used to obsess over.
Keep scrolling to learn how to make it yourself!
And yes, the pumpkin-shaped sprinkles are essential.
Vegan and Caffeine-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups of cashew milk (I find cashew to be the creamiest, but you can use your favourite!)
- 1/2 cup of hot, caffeine-free coffee (I use this one by Whole Earth)
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- Vegan whipped cream (I love this brand)
- Pumpkin sprinkles (I found these online – perfect for autumn and Halloween baking!)
- Combine the cashew milk, pumpkin puree and coconut sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Make sure it gets hot, but not boiling (if it starts bubbling, turn it down!)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the spices, vanilla extract and coffee.
- Pour into two cute mugs (it tastes better if it looks good, trust me!) and top with whipped cream, sprinkles and a little extra cinammon.
Starbucks are shaking in their boots right now. Who needs caffeine when you have this creamy, dreamy vegan creation?